Cornwall’s voluntary and community groups are being invited to apply for small grant funding under Cornwall Council’s Community Chest scheme for 2015/16.
Under the scheme the 123 Cornwall Councillors each have a total fund of £2000 to assist projects run by not-for-profit groups in their local areas. The grants aim to benefit a wide range of people and activities, from community facilities and local environmental projects, through to schemes promoting healthy living, music and sport.
Groups can apply for one-off grants of between £100 and £1000. The grants are intended to support specific projects, rather than ongoing running costs. Any ‘not for profit’ organisation which serves Cornwall is eligible to apply for funding; this includes Town and Parish Councils, village or community hall associations, parent teacher associations, scout and guide groups and many more.
Interested groups are asked to read the guidance on the Council’s website to ensure their project is eligible for funding. The Council’s Communities and Devolution team will be happy to answer any questions. Groups should then contact their local Cornwall Councillor to see if they are willing to support the application and have sufficient funds to do so. If the answer is yes, the group will be asked to complete a simple application form and send this to the Council for approval.
Applications and enquiries can be made at any time until the closing date of 12 February 2016.
Last year, Members helped to support a hugely diverse number of worthwhile projects in communities up and down Cornwall. Examples include:
- first aid classes
- an outing for carers
- a community hall extension
- a granite poppy to commemorate the First World War 100th anniversary
- a botanic survey for a community orchard
- new music stands for a brass band
- a trampette to develop children’s gym skills
- a leaflet publicising local walks;
- a community radio station
- the restoration of storm-damaged community facilities
- short mat bowls equipment
- banners for an annual flower show
- improvement works at a community theatre
- upgrading a scout hut
- garden furniture for a hospice
- programmes for the local carnival
- a new rowing gig
- a children’s book festival
- replacement practice nets for the local cricket club.
“I am delighted to open the Community Chest for another year.” said Jeremy Rowe, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Localism and Devolution. “Voluntary and community groups work tirelessly for Cornwall and this is a great scheme giving our Councillors the opportunity to support them in their local areas. The grants can be used to fund some projects outright, or help pull in grants from other funders to support bigger projects.”
Further information on the Community Chest scheme is available on the Council website or by calling 0300 1234 100.
Story posted 20 April 2015